Thursday 28 June 2012

Friday's fiction


Books let us into their souls and lay open to us the secrets of our own.  ~William Hazlitt

I thought I'd add another feature to my blog alliteratively named 'Friday's Fiction', from either the title or the image above I presume you more than likely have guessed that this isn't my usual beauty or fashion related post but instead something far closer to my heart, reading.

Ever since I was a little girl you could always find me nose deep into a book, absorbed by worlds and lives other than my own. You could say I was quite an introverted child, a little quirky, not one to ever want to be the centre of attention but rather observing from the outside and, I guess, that's why books and I got on so well. I could escape into fiction, whether it would make me cry or make me laugh aloud on the tube, much to my embarrassment, the written word has always touched me far more than television shows and cheesy pop ballads.

This love for reading endured and I am currently at university, for those of you that don't know already, studying English Literature because it's pretty much been the one constant in my pretty hectic life. Studying literature, however, can somewhat destroy your reading experience as once you go into all the hidden themes several times and pick out various linguistic devices the book doesn't seem like its yours any longer. That is why I'm so glad Summer has rolled on round and once more I get to read for my own personal pleasure and since reading is such a big part of me why not share it here, on my own little space online, with you lovely people!

So my aim is to keep you updated every other Friday with what books I'm reading, looking to read, or have read and loved - almost like a Summer reading journal. Feel free to join me on my summer reading challenge - I'm looking to read twenty books this summer! And, as ever, do leave me any suggestions or favourites of yours, I'd love to hear from you.

I'm currently a third of the way through 'The Hobbit' the prequel to the ever so popular 'Lord of the Rings' Trilogy. I was recommended this book many times but was wary of reading it due to having attempted 'Lord of the Rings' and found it a struggle-some read, however, my worries subsided when I was informed its intentional audience was Tolkein's sons and therefore the language was much more suitable for children. One my modules next year is Childrens Literature and this book was on the list. On the next 'Fridays Fiction' I'll give a short review and let you know what I'm reading next!

 photo homeeee_zps214aed0e.jpg

0 comments:

Post a Comment

hello lovelies! I read and try to reply to each and every comment and they really do make my day :)